Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Let Catch Up!

In the past two months I have had several people reach out to me for support, insight or advice regarding cancer and treatment. It occurred to me, as I sent them a link to this blog that I haven’t provided an update in a long time. I’m happy to share that I am now 6 1/2 years cancer free and alive and doing well!

40th Birthday trip to Playa Del Carmen!!!
This past year of life has been one of finally breathing and continuing to focus on health and enjoying each day! My word for 2017 was “abundant” - I wanted to focus on being able to live fully and appreciating the daily motions as a mom and wife. With breast cancer 6+ years behind me, and a perfectly clear breast MRI last year, I have finally found myself not thinking about cancer as much as I used to and not dwelling on the fears that have trapped me in the past. 

I have continued to focus on finding balance in my health - physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. They all really do all go hand in hand and I continue to discover how important it is to care for the many dimensions of who the Lord created me uniquely to be. It can be a lot of work to nurture all sides of yourself... but it is certainly so well worth the effort. 

With the help of a friend (free counseling session), I did have a breakthrough with my mental/emotional journey this year. She helped me realize that there was some suppressed grief from the cancer journey that had been sneaking up on me every once in a while. Grief of losing the option of having more children, grief of not enjoying my daughter when she was such a tiny, sweet baby and even grief for the loss of innocence and the reality of mortality.  She also helped me process my survivors guilt… which is still something that I struggle with.  Nobody ever told me that this side of treatment would be so intense… but I suppose one should expect a lifelong journey after you have had a life altering event that forever changes the way you look at the world and your purpose in it.

If you are reading this blog as a fellow patient/FIGHTER and are searching for hope in your cancer fight, it is my prayer that I can breathe a little bit of peace, hope and encouragement into your sails. My friend, we each have a unique journey, may you bloom and live an abundant life all of the rest of your days! 

God Bless. 



Here's some pics from a "Year of Abundance"... I'm thinking I knocked that goal out of the park!

My mom, who is also a TNBC survivor of 5 years,
hiking the Donnor Pass.
6 1/2 year CLEAN mammogram result!

Celebrating life in Maui, Hawaii
July 2017
15 year anniversary dinner in Maui
Daddy baptized both of our children
Bike ride with my unicorn
Chaperoning 5th grade camp with my young man   
Week with my family at Donnor Lake, Tahoe National Park






No comments:

Post a Comment