Thursday, June 14, 2012

One Week Ago…


Today marked a full week since my 30th and final radiation treatment. The day was super busy and full of celebration and food. Lots of food. It was a day that I was not a focused whole-food, fruit and veggie, whole grains, and being an example of healthy eating change. I was naughty… and it was delicious.

When I walked into the Cancer Center, I was surprised and blown away to be greeted by one of the ladies that I had sat with through the first couple of weeks of radiation. With a huge smile, she stood there with open arms and a bouquet of helium balloons. We had become e-mail buddies over the past month and this new “sister” had remember me on my LAST day of treatment and showed up to celebrate. I was, and am, humbled by her kindness.

As I walked into the dressing room, the techs let me know that I could come back as soon as I was ready. It took about 10 seconds to change into the gown. I marched myself right into the radiation area, clapped my hands and energetically said, “Let’s get this done!” I raced to the table, they lined the lasers up, the machine did its thing, I sang a song of praise louder than the sound of the buzzing… and then it was all over. My last radiation treatment. The last time I would have to stare at my scared reflection in the glass ceiling tiles. I deeply hope that it was the last time I will ever have to step foot in that room again. My gown did not go back into my cubby; instead, it shoved into the laundry bin. In fact, I took my nameplate off of my cubby, waded that thing up, and tossed it in the trash! I met with the doctor for a few minutes and then jammed out of there as if I was late for an appointment. However, I was not late for anything. I was just free.

Two dear friends that have been helping watch the kids throughout treatment took me out to lunch to celebrate. A kid free lunch and an amazing dish of Thai curry was the perfect reward for finishing treatment. Then we went back to the house and Erika had made a rum cake for dessert. I am not a huge fan of cake, but this stuff is beyond amazing. When I had tasted it before I begged for the recipe… seriously beyond yummy.

I took the kids home, we all rested and then I prepared dinner. Our friends came over to celebrate with us and to enjoy the tri-tip Eric barbequed. We ate ourselves silly and then Holly brought out a special triple layer red velvet cake that she had made for me/us. The word ZERO shouted that my long countdown of appointments and treatment are finally over. It was magically scrumptious! The kind of cake that could possibly make me change my tune and say I like cake. So, so, so good!

After everyone left & the kids were in bed, Eric brought out the bottle of wine that we bought last year on our Napa anniversary trip that we had been saving for a “special occasion.” Together, under the stars, we sipped, celebrated, thanked God, and breathed relief that we had survived the past 10 months.

Yes, it was a day of a million calories. It was a day of floating on air. It was a day of feeling set free. And in true Joppa fashion, throughout the night Eric serenaded me with the theme song to Greatest American Hero:
Believe it or not,
I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free-.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just me.

To top it all off, last week I was able to enjoy a celebratory massage. Several months ago a friend gifted me two massages with an amazing gal here in the area certified by the Healing Arts Institute in Oncology Massage. What a blessing this treat has been. Danette has become a cheerleader and support (physically, mentally, food wise & spiritually) throughout treatment and wanted to be sure to see me through complete healing... what a treat to be blessed with this kind of special gift. 

I celebrated hard, totally over booking my schedule and making sure to squeeze in more fun than one should have in a week. As a reminder that I am still healing, my body rejected the fun and finally put me in bed for a day. I knew I didn't feel good but when Nathan said I had "Sick Eyes" and Eric said I looked "Chemo Sick" it was clear that I really had pushed myself too hard. I have been reminded that it did not take a day for my body to get to this place... I need to take time to rest and heal as well. 

What joy and peace and thankfulness that this journey is all over I have enjoyed this past week. Sure, I still have a painful sunburn (radiation burn) that needs to fully heal and a port that needs to be flushed out and funky hair that needs to grow to a decent length. Nevertheless, I am free to enjoy each day and focus on the life I am here to live. And that’s just what I’m gonna do.

Hugs and love to all of you!


*** If you are looking for a massage therapist or know somebody going through cancer treatment or other chronic pain where massage would help in the healing process, I cannot recommend Danette enough. Her studio is in her home, so it is a very comfortable, peaceful environment and she is just the sweetest (most positive) person you'll ever meet. If you are interested, her email is danettecmt@gmail.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment