Saturday, October 1, 2011

What a day!


What a day!

This morning I had to go into the hospital for a PET scan. The Pathologist offering a second opinion on my slides agreed with the first Pathologist that there was something “unusual” going on with my cells. While I normally pride myself in being slightly unusual… this is not the kind of info you want to hear from an Oncologist. Here's the definition of a PET scan: “A PET scan is very different from an ultrasound, X-ray, MRI, or CT scan. A PET scan allows the physician to distinguish between living and dead tissue or between benign and malignant disorders. Since a PET scan images the biology of disorders at the molecular level, it can help the physician detect abnormalities in cellular activity at a very early stage, generally before anatomic changes are visible.” 
Basically, with this scan they wanted to eliminate the possibility that there weren’t other tumors hanging out around my body and  be able to once and for all clarify what kind of cancer we are really dealing with.

Armed with a sedative (next time I want two), as a newfound claustrophobic, I spent about a half hour in a tube being imaged. I just closed my eyes and sang in my head. The tiniest of sneak peaking resulted in immediate mental freak out… so, despite my lack of singing ability I made a joyful noise to myself (and hopefully the Lord).

Tonight I enjoyed a great night at a women’s gathering at my church. I generally do not like women’s ministry stuff… but this was my kind of event – a sweet prayer night with just the kindest and most sincere of women. Have I shared how much I totally love our new church???

Allen's Black & Tan
Yes, it is as amazing as it looks!
Calorie free too!
Anyways, I have a ton of paperwork to get in order before I start chemo on Monday so I am currently at the one place that I knew was open late, would satisfy my sweet tooth, and would help calm my nerves in preparing for this new leg of life. LEATHERBY’S! I have been warned that my food will taste like metal for the next 8 weeks (to possibly 6 months), so I wanted to treat myself to the single most delicious food item in all of Sacramento – an Allen’s Black & Tan!

For those of you that have known me a long time, you know I worked at Leatherby’s through high school, college and even a little afterwards for a total of 9 years. When I finally left to go into the ‘real world’, I had worked there over a 3rd of my life. Why you might ask would someone work so long at an ice cream parlor? The answer is simple. As far as I’m concerned there was/is no better job on earth than severing people and putting a smile on their face – which ice cream has a magical way of doing.

In addition, the Leatherby’s are just a great family, employers, and community supporters in Sacramento. Honestly, there was a lot to learn by watching the ethics and heart behind their business. I watched them give to those in need, consistently pick up the checks of service men, public service officers, and clergy, and make serving the community a priority. They gave second, third, fourth chances to employees needing guidance & offered a firm hand when necessary too. Their strong faith and family values were a core part of the restaurant – and they still are. I respect and love the family and can’t speak highly enough of the owners/managers.

Working at Leatherby’s kept me out of trouble too. When you work every Friday and Saturday night there is not much time to get involved in parties and other questionable activities. Plus, I made the greatest of friends at work, which made it fun and a great place for positive support. I just loved working there.

Lastly, who does not like walking out at the end of a shift with a wad of cash spilling out of your apron pocket? Yep, in retrospect, those were the best of days.

So anyways, it has been a long emotional day. I am tired and thinking of what is coming Monday makes me anxious. I have been trying to get everything ready, but I do not know that being ready is actually possible.

Man, that Black and Tan was good.

We had Mikuni’s Wednesday night so my sushi craving has been covered. Now I need to figure out what to eat Sunday night. I am thinking there will have to be Honey Walnut Prawns somewhere on my plate.

Oh, by the way, my doctor called at about 5pm tonight with the results of the PET scan and everything is clear. I just have plain old boring Ductal Breast Cancer.

Which is like the best news ever.


(Hahaha… this is not at all what I sat down to write. Isn’t it funny how ice cream has a way of being the prefect distraction?)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE ice cream, and if i were eating at letherby's, i'd totally order a black and tan, too. YUM-O.

    i can relate to your freak out during your pet scan--i never knew i was claustrophobic either! i had an mri without sedation (because i didn't know i would be freaking out). plus my hubby said he sleeps during his mri's, so i figured it would be no big deal. wrong! i kept my eyes tightly closed almost the entire time, just a brief sneak peek. oops. i wanted to claw my way out so bad, but you have to hold perfectly still. about halfway through i was asked if i was doing okay. inside i screamed "NO, let me out!" but i pressed on, figuring i'd have to re-do it if they didn't get the images they needed. i didn't think to sing, but instead focused on the birds chirping outside. when i was done, i realized i was in the depths of the hospital, nowhere near the outdoors and chirping birds. what i was really hearing was the chirp of the machine. the thing that was driving me mad inside was also keeping me calm. go figure. if i ever have another mri i will totally ask for something. ativan maybe? is that what they gave you? so ask for two??

    praise God for boring old ductal breast cancer!

    oh, and thankful for mary kay breast exam shower hangers, too. i found my first lump after a shower exam prompted by a hanger in the college dorm bathroom.

    thinking of you and praying for you often kelly!

    ReplyDelete